Not accepted by UTC but in ISO ballot?

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Dec 26 19:49:36 CST 2019

Shriramana,

On 12/20/2019 6:29 PM, Shriramana Sharma via Unicode wrote:
> I was looking at the pipeline for something else, and for the first
> time I see a character category: “not accepted by the UTC but in ISO
> ballot” and two characters in it.
Those two characters changed status as of December 4, when the
disposition of comments for CD3 was posted. They will not be part of the
DIS ballot. The pipeline has now been updated to reflect that change of
status.

> So IIUC while technically people are free to submit a document to the
> ISO separately without submitting to UTC, it has always been the
> practice to my knowledge to get a character approved by the UTC first.

That is a preferred process, but doesn't always occur. The most obvious
exception is that large new CJK repertoire additions are developed by
the IRG and often go into ballot in ISO before the UTC takes a formal
decision to approve them. CJK Extension G has now been approved for 13.0
by the UTC, but the entire block was listed in the pipeline for some
time as "not accepted by UTC, but in active ISO technical ballot" once
Extension G went into CD balloting.

--Ken