NBSP supposed to stretch, right?

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Dec 20 21:50:25 CST 2019

On 2019-12-21 2:43 AM, Shriramana Sharma via Unicode wrote:
> Ohkay and that's very nice meaningful feedback from actual
> developer+user interaction. So the way I look at this going forward is
> that we have four options:
>
> 1)
>
> With the existing single NBSP character, provide a software option to
> either make it flexible or inflexible, but this preference should be
> stored as part of the document and not the application settings, else
> shared documents would not preserve the layout intended by the
> creator.
>
> <snip>

5)

Update the applications to treat NBSP correctly.  Process legacy data
based on date/time stamp (or metadata) appropriately and offer users the
option to update their legacy data algorithmically using proper
non-stretching space characters such as FIGURE SPACE.

-

Options 1 and 5 have the advantage of not requiring the addition of yet
more spacing characters to the Standard.