Script_extension Property of U+0310 Combining Candrabindu

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Apr 19 04:42:24 CDT 2019

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 11:36:16 +0530
Shriramana Sharma via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> On 4/19/19, Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org>
> wrote:
> > That's a fair point.  My problem is that someone is claiming of
> > U+0310 that "Somewhere in the Unicode specifications is a footnote
> > saying it is to be used with Devanagari".
>
> Why would anyone want to use 0310 with any Indic script that already
> has a candrabindu?

I know any such footnote would be wrong.  Disproving it ever existed is
trickier.  I can imagine a statement that it "represents the Devanagari
candrabindu", which could after the passage of years change into the
claim in someone's human memory.

> > However, some people get rather upset with the idea of using the
> > general combining diacritics in Indic scripts.

> Many Vedic svara characters have lookalikes among the Combining
> Diacritics but they were encoded anyway since IIUC the UTC felt that
> separate characters would help preserving sanity in implementing text
> shaping engines or such.

That reminds me - what if anything is happening about Tamil script
candrabindu? You reported that U+0310 was being used in that rôle.