Emoji Haggadah

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Apr 16 03:00:23 CDT 2019

On 2019-04-16 7:09 AM, Martin J. Dürst via Unicode wrote:
> All the examples you cite, where images stand for sounds, are typically
> used in some of the oldest "ideographic" scripts. Egyptian definitely
> has such concepts, and Han (CJK) does so, too, with most ideographs
> consisting of a semantic and a phonetic component.

Using emoji as rebus puzzles seems harmless enough but it defeats the
goals of those emoji proponents who want to see emoji evolve into a
universal form of communication because phonetic recognition of symbols
would be language specific.  Users of ancient ideographic systems
typically shared a common language where rebus or phonetic usage made
sense to the users.  (Of course, diverse CJK user communities were able
to adapt over time.)

All of the reviews of this publication on the page originally linked
seemed positive, so it appears that people are having fun with emoji.
But I suspect that this work would be jibber-jabber to any non-English
speaker unfamiliar with the original Haggadah.  No matter how otherwise
fluent they might be in emoji communication.