Tamil Brahmi Short Mid Vowels

Andrew Glass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Sep 11 19:02:44 CDT 2018

On Windows, Khmer is rendered with a dedicated shaping engine. I don't see a need to alter that engine or integrate Khmer with USE. How we fix Tai Tham, which does go to USE is a different matter. We need to work through the solution for Tai Tham. I'm opposed to a generic and broad relaxation of virama constraints in USE as that would have impact on many scripts that currently have no requirement for virama after vowels. I'm not opposed to a new Indic Syllabic Category that has virama-like features and is allowed to follow a vowel. If we establish such a property for Tai Tham, we can consider on a case-by-case basis if any virama characters would be better served by the new property—including Brahmi.

Cheers,

Andrew