second attempt

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Oct 31 14:14:36 CDT 2018

On 10/31/2018 11:27 AM, Asmus Freytag via Unicode wrote:
> but we don't have an agreement that reproducing all variations in
> manuscripts is in scope.

In fact, I would say that in the UTC, at least, we have an agreement
that that clearly is out of scope!

Trying to represent all aspects of text in manuscripts, including
handwriting conventions, as plain text is hopeless. There is no
principled line to draw there before you get into arbitrary calligraphic
conventions.

And while this list is happily deep-ending on handwritten lines under
superscript Latin letters in Polish abbreviations, keep in mind that
*Han* characters alone constitute over 64% of the encoded characters in
Unicode -- and the handwriting, style, and calligraphic conventions for
Han make Latin look simple. Here:

Japanese Postcard NY Greeting

That is a New Year's greeting snipped from a 1906 Japanese postcard. Oh,
snap! What are we going to do to represent the *leaves* (or are they
feathers?) being used for handwritten strokes in that text???

--Ken