A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Khaled Hosny via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Oct 30 16:52:45 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 10:02:43PM +0100, Marcel Schneider wrote:
> On 30/10/2018  at 21:34, Khaled Hosny via Unicode wrote:
>> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 04:52:47PM +0100, Marcel Schneider via Unicode wrote:
> > > E.g. in Arabic script, superscript is considered worth
> > > encoding and using without any caveat, whereas when Latin script is on,
> > > superscripts are thrown into the same cauldron as underscoring.
>> > Curious, what Arabic superscripts are encoded in Unicode?
>
> First, ARABIC LETTER SUPERSCRIPT ALEPH U+0671.
> But it is a vowel sign. Many letters put above are called superscript
> when explaining in English.

As you say, this is a vowel sign not a superscript letter, so the name
is a misnomer at best. It should have been called COMBINING ARABIC
LETTER ALEF ABOVE, similar to COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER A. In Arabic
it is called small or dagger alef.

> There is the range U+FC5E..U+FC63 (presentation forms).

That is a backward compatiplity block no one is supposed to use, there
are many such backward comatipility presentation forms even of Latin
script (U+FB00..U+FB4F).

So I don’t see what makes you think, based on this, that Unicode is
favouring Arabic or other scripts over Latin.

Regards,
Khaled