A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Oct 30 16:32:57 CDT 2018

Doug Ewell responded to Marcel Schneider,

 >> while Cyrillic script currently uses “small caps” to write in
 >> lowercase.
 >
 > You're joking, right?
 >
 > Аа Бб Ее Рр
 >
 > This undermines a lot of what you are claiming to know
 > about writing systems, and about the difference between
 > case distinctions and styling.

That seems unduly harsh.  None of us are perfect; we all make mistakes.
The lowercase part of Cyrillic casing pairs do resemble small caps for
most letters.  One casual mistake given in an aside does not negate the
rest of Marcel Schneider's points.  One error about a related script
(Cyrillic) does not undermine his thoughtful expectations for the Latin
script as a French language member of the Latin script user community.

As an aside, calling a mister a doctor isn't insulting but calling a
doctor a mister might be.  I suppose we could all call each other
magister here, just to be safe, but we can't seem to agree on how to
encode its abbreviation.