A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Oct 27 12:25:02 CDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at  5:58 -0700, Asmus Freytag via Unicode wrote:

[...]

> My suspicion would be that the small "z" is rather a "=" that acquired
> a connecting stroke as part of quick handwriting.

You must be right.

In the meantime I looked up some other postcards written by the same
person i found several other abbreviation including № 'NUMERO SIGN'
(U+2116) written in the same way, i.e. with a double instead of a single
line.

So we have a consensus about how to interpret the sign, but there are
still open questions about the scope of its usage, and its encoding.

Thanks one again to all who contributed to the discussion.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,