Base64 encoding applied to different unicode texts always yields different base64 texts ... true or false?

Doug Ewell via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Oct 14 14:10:45 CDT 2018

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> Base64 is defined in RFC 2045 (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
> (MIME) Part One: Format of Internet Message Bodies).

Base64 is defined in RFC 4648, "The Base16, Base32, and Base64 Data
Encodings." RFC 2045 defines a particular implementation of base64,
specific to transporting Internet mail in a 7-bit environment.

RFC 4648 discusses many of the "higher-level protocol" topics that some
people are focusing on, such as separating the base64-encoded output
into lines of length 72 (or other), alternative target code unit sets or
"alphabets," and padding characters. It would be helpful for everyone to
read this particular RFC before concluding that these topics have not
been considered, or that they compromise round-tripping or other
characteristics of base64.

I had assumed that when Roger asked about "base64 encoding," he was
asking about the basic definition of base64.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org