Fallback for Sinhala Consonant Clusters

Martin J. Dürst via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Oct 14 03:15:26 CDT 2018

Hello Richard,

On 2018/10/14 09:02, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
> Are there fallback rules for Sinhala consonant clusters?  There are
> fallback rules for Devanagari, but I'm not sure if they read across.
>
> The problem I am seeing is that the Pali syllable 'ndhe' න්‍ධෙ <U+0DB1
> NAYANNA, U+0DCA AL-LAKUNA, 200D ZWJ, U+0DB0 MAHAPRAANA DAYANNA, U+0DD9
> KOMBUVA>

Let's label this as (1)

> is being rendered identically to a hypothetical Sinhalese
> 'nēdha' නේධ <U+0DB1, U+0DDA DIGA KOMBUVA, U+0DB0>,

It (2) doesn't look identically to (1) here (Thunderbird on Win 8.1).

Your mail is written as if you are speaking about a general phenomenon,
but I guess there are differences depending on the font and rendering stack.

> which in NFD is
> <U+0DB1, U+0DD9, U+0DCA, U+0DB0>, when I use a font that lacks the
> conjunct.  (Most fonts lack the conjunct.)  The Devanagari rules and my
> preference would lead to a fallback rendering as න්ධෙ  (Sinhalese
> 'ndhe'),

Here, this (3) looks like it has the same three components as (2), but
the first two are exchanged, so that the piece that looks like @ is now
in the middle (it was at the left in (1) and (2)).

Hope this helps.  Regards,    Martin.

--
Prof. Dr.sc. Martin J. Dürst
Department of Intelligent Information Technology