Aleph-umlaut

Beth Myre via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Nov 11 00:03:15 CST 2018

Hi Mark,

This is a really cool find, and it's interesting that you might have a
relative mentioned in it.  After looking at it more, I'm more convinced
that it's German written in Hebrew letters, not Yiddish.  I think that
explains the umlauts.  Since the text is about Jewish subjects, it also
includes Hebrew words like you mentioned, just like we would include *beit
din* or *p'sak* in an English text.

Here's a paragraph from page 22:

[image: Paragraph.jpg]

I (re-)transliterated it, and it reads:

Wir sind uns dessen bewusst, dass von Seite der Gegenpartei weder Reue(?),
noch Einsicht zu erwarten ist und dass sie die Konsequenzen dieser
rabbinischen Gutachten von sich abschüttelen werden mit der Motivierung,
dass:

a)…

That's just German.  Something like -

We know that we can't expect repentance or insight from the other party,
and that they will disregard the consequences of these rabbinical reports
because:

a)…

I only know a little Yiddish (one semester a long time ago), but I think
Yiddish word order would be very different.  Also, 'we are' would be 'mir
zaynen' instead of 'wir sind,' 'and' would be 'un' instead of 'und,' etc.

Beth