Aleph-umlaut

Marius Spix via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Nov 9 17:25:54 CST 2018

Dear Mark,

I found another sample here:
https://www.marketscreener.com/BRILL-5240571/pdf/61308/Brill_Report.pdf

On page 86 it says that the aleph with diaresis is a number with
the value 1000.

See also the attached clipping.

A second source is the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon of the
Old Testament which also mentions that ‫א‬ ̈means 1000, but there were
no evidence of this usage in Old Testament times. See here (the very
first lemma):
www.biblab.com/students/dizionari/Brown-Driver-Briggs%20Hb-En%20Dic.docx

Yet another usage in a mathematical context of an aleph with umlaut can
be found here, however they used U+2135 ALEF SYMBOL instead of U+05D0
HEBREW LETTER ALEF. This is not related to the value 1000, as the umlaut
is used to mark the second derivative.
https://de.slideshare.net/StephenAhiante/dynamics-modelling-design-of-a-quadcopter
(page 28-29 or slide 41-42)

However, seems that there is no real font support for these characters,
though. The only font on my computer, which could render aleph
+ umlaut correctly on my system was Unifont and
roughly Linux Libertine. Other fonts, in particular Arial, DejaVu Sans,
Liberation Sans and Linux Biolinum rendered the diaeresis to much far
to the left.

I even found a user has a similar issue with U+0308, here:
http://smontagu.org/writings/HebrewNumbers.html

Maybe adding an annotation to U+0308 could sensitize font
designers to be aware that this combining character is also used
in the Hebrew alphabet.

My suggestion is to add the annotation “= hewbrew thousands multiplier”
to U+0308 COMBINING DIAERESIS and  a reference from 05B5 ◌ֵ
HEBREW POINT TSERE to U+0308.

Best regards,

Marius