A sign/abbreviation for "magister" - second question summary

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Nov 6 04:59:23 CST 2018

On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at 14:10 +0200, Janusz S. Bień via Unicode wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On the over 100 years old postcard
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/GbwNwYbEQMjZaFgE6
>
> you can see 2 occurences of a symbol which is explicitely explained (in
> Polish) as meaning "Magister".

[...]

> The second question is: are you familiar with such or a similar symbol?
> Have you ever seen it in print?

Later I provided some additional information:

On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at 16:09 +0200, Janusz S. Bień via Unicode wrote:

> The postcard is from the front of the first WW written by an
> Austro-Hungarian soldier. He explaines the meaning of the abbreviation
> to his wife, so looks like the abbreviation was used but not very
> popular.

On Sat, Oct 27 2018 at 20:25 +0200, Janusz S. Bień via Unicode wrote:

[...]

> In the meantime I looked up some other postcards written by the same
> person i found several other abbreviation including № 'NUMERO SIGN'
> (U+2116) written in the same way, i.e. with a double instead of a single
> line.

The similarity to № 'NUMERO SIGN' was mentioned quite often in the
thread, there seem to be no need to quote all this mentions here.

A more general observation was formulated by Richard Wordingham:

On Sun, Oct 28 2018 at  8:13 GMT, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:

[...]

> The notation is a quite widespread format for abbreviations.  the
> first letter is normal sized, and the subsequent letter is written in
> some variety of superscript with a squiggle underneath so that it
> doesn't get overlooked.

Various examples of such abbreviations were also mentioned several times
in the thread, but again there seem to be no need to quote all this
mentions here.

Nobody however reported any other occurence of the symbol in question.

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,