Encoding <combining abbreviation mark> (was: Re: A sign/abbreviation for "magister")

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Nov 5 17:32:32 CST 2018

On 05/11/2018 17:46, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:

> Philippe Verdy wrote:
>
>> Note that I actually propose not just one rendering for the <combining
>> abbrevaition mark> but two possible variants (that would be equally
>> valid withou preference).
>
> Actually you're not proposing them. You're talking about them (at
> length) on the public mailing list. If you want to propose something,
> you should consider writing a proposal.

The accepted meaning of "to propose" is not limited to the technical
sense it is used with respect to Unicode. Also, Philippe and I are both
influenced by our French locale, where "je propose" has pretty wide
semantics.

To conform with Unicode terminology, simply think "suggest", as in:
“Note that I actually suggest not just one rendering […].”

Thanks anyway for encouraging Philippe Verdy to submit the related
encodingproposal.

Best regards,

Marcel