Encoding <combining abbreviation mark>

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Nov 4 12:54:37 CST 2018

Le dim. 4 nov. 2018 à 18:34, Marcel Schneider <charupdate at orange.fr> a
écrit :

> On 04/11/2018 17:45, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> Beyond that, the problem with *COMBINING ABBREVIATION MARK is that it
> needs OpenType support to work, while direct encoding of preformatted
> superscripts and use as abbreviation indicators for an interoperable
> digital representation of natural languages does not.

No OpenScript is required.

I already propose that a correct rendering of this mark is a simple dot
added to the right of the cluster (if this cluster is LTR) or to the left
(if the cluster is RTL).
It just has to convey the fact that it occurs to mean an abbreviation.

The mark to render (when not rendering the superscript) is left to each
font design (a font made for another script than Latin, Greek, Cyrillic can
use another convenient abbreviation mark suitable for that script and that
avoids the confusion with other dot-like combining marks used in that
script, and it may be placed elsewhere than to the right or left of the
cluster that it modifies)