A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sat Nov 3 15:02:23 CDT 2018

As well the separate encoding of mathematical variants could have been
completely avoided (we know that this encoding is not sufficient, so much
that even LaTeX renderers simply don't need it or use it !).

We could have just encoded a single <combining mathematical symbol> to use
after any base cluster, and the whole set was covered !

The additional distinction of visual variants (monospace, bold, italic...)
would have been encoded using variation selectors after the <combining
mathematical symbol>: the semantic as a mathematical symbols was still
preserved including the additional semantic for distinguishing some symbols
in maths notations like "f(f)=f" where the 3 "f" must be distinguished
(between the function in a set of functions, the source belonging to one
set of values or being a variable, and the result in another set which may
be a value or variable.

Once again this covered all the needs without using this duplicate encoding
(that was NEVER needed for roundtrip compatibility with legacy non-UCS
charsets).

All I ask is reasonnable: it's just a SINGLE code point to encode the
combining mark itself, semantically, NOT visually.

The visual appearance can be controlled by an additional variation selector
to cancel the effect of glyph variations allowed for ALL characters in the
UCS, where there's just a **non-mandatory** form generally used by default
in fonts and matching more or less the "representative glyph" shown in the
Unicode and ISO 10646 charts, which cannot show all allowed variations (if
there's a need to detail them, Unicode offers the possibility to ask to
register known "variation sequences" which can feed a supplementary chart
showing more representative glyphs, one for each accepted "variation
sequence", but without even needing to modify the "representative glyph"
shown in the base chart.

Note that even if Unicode requires registration of variation sequences
prior to using them, the published charts still omit to add the additional
charts (just below the existing base chart) showing representative glyphs
for accepted sequences, with one small chart per base character, listing
them simply ordered by "VSn" value. All what Unicode publishes is only a
mere data list with some names (not enough for most users to be ware that
variations can be encoded explicitly and compliantly)