A sign/abbreviation for "magister"

Adam Borowski via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Nov 2 10:04:13 CDT 2018

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 01:44:25PM +0000, Michael Everson via Unicode wrote:
> I write my 7’s and Z’s with a horizontal line through them.  Ƶ is encoded
> not for this purpose, but because Z and Ƶ are distinct in orthographies
> for varieties of Tatar, Chechen, Karelian, and Mongolian.  This is a
> contemporary writing convention but it does not argue for a new SEVEN WITH
> STROKE character or that I should use Ƶ rather than Z when I write
> *Ƶanƶibar.

And that use conflicts with Ƶ ƶ being an allograph of Polish Ż ż, used
especially when marks above cap height are unwanted or when readability is
important (Żż is too similar to Źź).  It also happened to be nicely
renderable with Z^H- z^H- vs Z^H' z^H' on printers which had backspace.

I unsuccessfully argued for such a variant on a "historical terminals" font:
https://github.com/rbanffy/3270font/issues/19

But in either case the difference is purely visual rather than semantic.
The latter still applies to _some_ uses of superscript, but not to the
mgr.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Have you heard of the Amber Road?  For thousands of years, the
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Romans and co valued amber, hauled through the Europe over the