Why is TAMIL SIGN VIRAMA (pulli) not Alphabetic?

Asmus Freytag via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon May 28 23:44:11 CDT 2018

One of the general principles is that combining marks inherit the
property of their base character.

Normally, "inherited" should be the only property value for combining marks.

There have been some deviations from this over the years, for various
reasons, and there are some properties (such as general category) where
it is necessary to recognize the character as combining, but the general
principle still holds.

Therefore, if you are trying to see whether a string is alphabetic,
combining marks should be "transparent" to such an algorithm.

A./