Unicode characters unification

Richard Wordingham via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon May 28 12:18:52 CDT 2018

On Mon, 28 May 2018 17:54:47 +0200
Hans Åberg via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> > On 28 May 2018, at 17:00, Richard Wordingham via Unicode
> > <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 28 May 2018 15:30:55 +0200
> > Hans Åberg via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> >> German has a special sign ß for "ss", without upper capital
> >> version.
> >
> > That doesn't prevent upper-casing - you just have to know your
> > audience.
>
> That would be the same if the Greek and Latin uppercase letters would
> have been unified: One would need to know the context.

I've seen a commutation diagram with both U+004D LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
M and U+039C GREEK CAPITAL LETTER MU on it.  I only knew the difference
because I listened to what the lecturer said.

> > For the
> > same reason, there are two utter confusables in THE Latin SCRIPT for
> > 00D0 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ETH.

> The stuff is likely added for computer legacy, if there were separate
> encodings for those.

Unlikely.  U+00F0 LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH and U+0256 LATIN SMALL LETTER
D WITH TAIL contrast in the IPA.  The difference between U+0111 LATIN
SMALL LETTER D WITH STROKE and U+00F0 LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH may have
been debated.