preliminary proposal: New Unicode characters for Arabic music half-flat and half-sharp symbols

Markus Scherer via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue May 15 16:46:05 CDT 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Johnny Farraj via Unicode <
unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Dear Unicode list members,
>
> I wish to get feedback about a new symbol submission proposal.

Just to clarify, this is a discussion list where you may get some useful
feedback. This is not where you would submit an actual proposal.

See https://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

I am proposing the addition of 2 new characters to the Musical Symbols
> table:
>
> - the half-flat sign (lowers a note by a quarter tone)
> - the half-sharp sign (raises a note by a quarter tone)

In an actual proposal, I would expect a discussion of whether you are
proposing to encode established symbols, or whether you are proposing new
symbols to be adopted by the community (in which case Unicode would
probably wait & see if they get established).

A proposal should also show evidence of usage and glyph variations.

Best regards,
markus