Translating the standard

Marcel Schneider via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Mar 12 06:55:54 CDT 2018

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:00:16 +0000, Andrew West wrote:

> On 12 March 2018 at 07:59, Marcel Schneider via Unicode
>  wrote:
> >
> > Likewise ISO/IEC 10646 is available in a French version
>
> No it is not, and never has been.
>
> Why don't you check your facts before making misleading statements to this list?
>
> > or at least, it should have an official French version like all ISO standards.
>
> That is also blatantly untrue.
>
> Only six of the publicly available ISO standards listed at
> http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html
> have French versions, and one has a Russian version. You will notice
> that there is no French version of ISO/IEC 10646.
>
> Andrew

Since ISO has made of standards a business, all prior versions are removed from
the internet, so that they donʼt show up even in that list (which Iʼd used to grab a
free copy, just to check the differences). Because if they had public archives of the
free standards, not having any for the pay standards would stand out even more.
This is why if you need an older version for reference, you need to find a good soul
in the organization, who will be so kind to make a copy for you in the archives at
the headquarters.

The last published French version of ISO/IEC 10646 — to which you contributed —
is still available on Patrickʼs site:

http://hapax.qc.ca/Tableaux-5.0.htm

Actually, the French version has no chief redactor, and during a time, the French
version of the NamesList was maintained only so far as to add the new names (for
use in ISO 14651). For Unicode 10.0.0, the French translation has been again fully
updated to Code Charts production level:

http://hapax.qc.ca/ListeNoms-10.0.0.txt

(Iʼd noticed that the contributorsʼ list has slightly shrinked without being able to
find out why.) The Code Charts have not been produced, however (because there
is actually no redactor‐in‐chief, as already stated, and also because of budget cuts
the government is not in a position to pay the non‐trivial amount of money asked
for by Unicode for use of the fonts and/or [just trying to be as precise as I can this
time| the owner of the tooling needed).

Having said that, I still believe that all ISO standards should have a French version,
shouldnʼt they?         :)

Best regards,

Marcel