Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Martin J. Dürst via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Mar 9 04:54:18 CST 2018

On 2018/03/09 10:22, Philippe Verdy via Unicode wrote:
> As well how Chinese/Japanese post offices handle addresses written with
> sinograms for personal names ? Is the expanded IDS form acceptable for
> them, or do they require using Romanized addresses, or phonetic
> approximations (Bopomofo in China, Kanas in Japan, Hangul in Korea) ?

They just see the printed form, not an encoding, and therefore no IDS.
Many addresses use handwriting, which has its own variability.
Variations such as those covered by IDSes are easily recognizable by
people as being the same as the 'base' character, and OCR systems, if
they are good enough to decipher handwriting, can handle such cases,
too. Romanized addresses will be delivered because otherwise it would be
difficult for foreigners to send anything. Pure Kana should work in
Japan, although the postal employee will have a second look because it's
extremely unusual. For Korea, these days, it will be mostly Hangul; I'm
not sure whether addresses with Hanja would incur a delay. My guess
would be that Bopomofo wouldn't work in mainland China (might work in
Taiwan, not sure).

Regards,   Martin.