Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Mar 7 16:13:31 CST 2018

Note: I don't advocate "duplicate encoding" as you think. But probably the
current IDS model is not sufficient to describe characters correctly, and
that it may be augmented a bit (using variant codes or some additional
joiners or diacritics?).

But IDS strings are suitable for rendering as ligatures and this should be
permitted, and should even be the standard way to represent personal names
without making them depend on an unproved single distinctive presentation.

E.g. someone writes his name with some personal strokes and uses it as its
registered "signature"; he is then doing business or is cited in news with
simplified presentation, and the Chinese authorities also use their own
simplications. All these will designate the same person. But who is correct
for the presentation of the character ? In my opinion it is only the person
that invented it for themselve, as a personal signature, but this is not
suitable for encoding (privacy and copyright issue). All the other
presentation are legitimate, and we don't need additional encoding for it:
the ligaturing of IDS strings is sufficient even if it does not match
exactly the person's signature.