Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

Ken Whistler via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Mar 7 15:35:42 CST 2018

On 3/7/2018 1:12 PM, Philippe Verdy via Unicode wrote:
> Shouldn't we create a variant of IDS, using combining joiners between
> Han base glyphs (then possibly augmented by variant selectors if there
> are significant differences on the simplification of rendered strokes
> for each component) ? What is really limiting us to do that ?

Ummm.... ambiguity, lack of precision, complexity of model, pushback by
stakeholders, likely failure of uptake by most implementers, duplication
of representation, ...

Do you think combining models of Han weren't already thought of years
ago? They predated the original encoding of unified CJK in Unicode in
1992. They weren't viable then, and they aren't viable now, either,
after 26 years of Unicode implementation of unified CJK as atomic
ideographs.

--Ken