Translating the standard (was: Re: Fonts and font sizes used in the Unicode)

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Mar 5 13:19:47 CST 2018

There's been significant efforts to "translate" or more precisely "adapt"
significant parts of the standard with good presentations in Wikipedia and
various sites for scoped topics. So there are alternate charts, and instead
of translating all, the concepts are summarized, reexplained, but still
give links to the original version in English everytime more info is needed.
All UCD files don't need to be translated, they can also be automatically
processed to generate alternate presentations or datatables in other
formats. There's no value in taking efforts to translate them manually,
it's better to develop a tool that will process them in the format users
can read.

So remove the UCD files and the tables from the count, as well as sample
code (which is jsut demontrative and uses simplified non optimal
implementation to keep this code clear). We an now have separate tools or
websites presenting them and proposing commented code which is also better
performing. We have large collections of i18n libraries that were developed
for various development platforms and usage documentation in various
languages.

The only efforts is in:
* naming characters (Wikipedia is great to distribute the effort and have
articles showing relevant collections of characters and document alternate
names or disambiguate synonyms).
* the core text of the standard (section 3 about conformance and
requirements is the first thing to adapt). There's absolutely no need
however to do that as a pure translation, it can be rewritten and presented
with the goals wanted by users. Here again Wikiepdia has done significant
efforts there, in various languages
* keeping the tools developed in the previous paragraph in sync and
conformity with the standard (sync the UCD files they use).