Unicode Emoji 11.0 characters now ready for adoption!

via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Mar 5 09:13:00 CST 2018

Dear All,

to simplify discussion I have split the points.

On 05.03.2018 16:57, Phake Nick via Unicode wrote:
> 在 2018年3月5日週一 13:25,Martin J. Dürst via Unicode
> <unicode at unicode.org [1]> 寫道:
>
>> Hello John,
>>
>> On 2018/03/01 12:31, via Unicode wrote:
>>
>>>Third, I cannot confirm or deny the "500 characters a year" limit,
>>> but
>>>I'm quite sure that if China (or Hong Kong, Taiwan,...) had a real
>>> need
>>>to encode more characters, everybody would find a way to handle
>>> these.

>>> Due to the nature of your claims, it's difficult to falsify many of
>>> them. It would be easier to prove them (assuming they were true),
>>> so if
>>> you have any supporting evidence, please provide it.

Chinese characters for Unicode first go to IRG (or ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC2/WG2/IRG) website. The limit of 500 a year for China is an
average based on IRG #48 document regarding working set 2017
http://appsrv.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~irg/irg/irg48/IRGN2220_IRG48Recommends.pdf
which explicitly states "each submission shall not exceed 1,000
characters". The People's Republic of China as one member of IRG is
limited to 1,000 characters, which hopefully we can all agree has a
population of over 1,000,000,000 , therefore was limited to submitting
at most 1,000 characters. The earliest possible date for the next
working set is two or three years later, that is 2019 or 2020, so that's
an average limit of either 500 or 333 characters a year.

Regards
John