Emoji as East Asian Width = Wide

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Mar 5 06:00:45 CST 2018

I think that fixed-width rendering properties for East-Asian characters was
meant only for rendering letters or symbols as plain-text, not for the new
rendering with emoji styles.
If the symbols are rendered as emojis, these properties don't apply at all,
the Emojis style overrides that completely.

Note that when characters have both styles (notably the oldest dingbats),
there's a variant selector available to select the emoji (EAW ignored)
style vs. plain-text style (where EAW is suitable). Characters that have
only Emoji styles and no selectors should not have any EAW property (only
the default one applicable to all Emojis).