Unicode 11 Georgian uppercase vs. fonts

Michael Everson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jul 27 08:07:28 CDT 2018

On 27 Jul 2018, at 13:42, James Kass via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> MIchael Everson wrote,
>
>> No, James is mistaken. Georgian is structurally casing, and the difference is not stylistic, but orthographic.
>
> I am not mistaken; I never said Georgian wasn't structurally casing and I never said the difference is stylistic.

The use made of MTAVRULI is orthographic, based on the casing structure of the script.

> If members of the Georgian user community want to consider this a stylistic difference, they are free to do so.

It isn’t a stylistic difference. It is a different use of capital letters than Latin, Cyrillic and other scripts use them.

> Unicode/UCS doesn't impose orthographic rules on user communities, it makes no judgments of user practices, and it doesn't mandate or suggest how the actual users use the encoded characters. The UCS
> provides a standard encoding scheme to preserve and exchange plain text computer data.  In order to be UNIVERSAL, the UCS provides encoding not only for day-to-day use, but also for scholarly and historic preservation purposes.

Nobody imposed anything. N4712 describes behaviour, points out that the behaviour cannot be supported by Unicode 10 and earlier, and proposes a solution to support that behaviour which has been accepted and formally adopted.

Michael Everson