Unicode 11 Georgian uppercase vs. fonts

Alexey Ostrovsky via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jul 27 06:22:15 CDT 2018

 It is a mistake or misinterpretation of evidence provided (modern samples
and samples from 19th c., provided in N4712 in the same context, are of
different nature, it is clear even from images) and §8 of the document
states opposite. The criteria for presence of orthographic distinction
between cases is clear: there must be either some typical usage of a case
(like USA) or there must be a semantic difference between different cases
(like smith vs. Smith). Neither one is correct for Georgian, use of "case"
is totally optional (the same §8 agrees with that): there is no difference
between "ašš" and "AŠŠ" (აშშ, USA) in the text, so use of uppercase is
exactly the same as small caps (and samples provided in photos only confirm
it). There is no Georgian orthography rules that regulate use of
upper-case. If I am wrong, I will be happy to see an orthographic rule that
distinguish between upper- and lowercase or, at least, recommends to use
uppercase.

What about samples from 19th century, it was the same attempt (under
Cyrillic influence), as an attempt of Shanidze in the middle of 20th
century (however, Shanidze used Asomtavruli, which, again, only proves that
there were no uppercase for Mkhedruli except on the level of an idea).
There were no orthography rules on that and, even more, it was not
orthography as well. Vast majority of samples from the same period of 19th
century are caseless (manuscripts, archive papers, official papers, books,
journals, newspapers -- everything). Either majority of texts from that
period are orthographically incorrect, or there was no such orthography
like uppercase that time. One have to distinguish clearly between
experiments and a common practice, and N4712 only provide samples, it does
not clarify whether it was an orthography or small caps -like usage. an
assertion that those couple samples prove that the georgian script had case
in 19th century is the same as an assertion that the latin script is
caseless in 21st century just because we have enough caseless samples
(including this one).

With all my respect, N2608R2 is right and N4712 is wrong about case in
Georgian.

Sincerely,
Alex.