Variation Sequences (and L2-11/059)

William_J_G Overington via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Jul 19 11:47:42 CDT 2018

Janusz S. Bien wrote:

> You seem to assume that my concern is only rendering.

Well my thinking is that what you are wanting is a way to accurately transcribe documents and maybe printed books from Old Polish into a Unicode-based electronic format so that the information can be more readily studied, while retaining glyph information that is not presently representable using Unicode characters.

I found the following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Polish_language

WJGO >> So you could if you wish try to make your own font

JSB >Actually I tried:

JSB > https://bitbucket.org/jsbien/parkosz-font/

Thank you for the link to the font. I have studied the font in the FontCreator program (version 8).

I remember that I produced an OpenType font using Variation Selectors and OpenType Glyph Substitution back in April 2017. I wrote about it and provided a link to the font and a link to a typecase document.

https://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7033

Although that font is about chess, I am thinking that that is the sort of font that is needed for what you are wanting to do. This could use variation selectors or could use circled digits as desired.

I am a researcher and I am looking for a worthwhile project related to typography in which to participate from time to time - no money charged, no money to pay - and I am interested in printed books of the incunabula period and the early sixteenth century.

I do not know any Polish, but I do not need to be involved in choosing which glyphs are needed, so my not knowing any Polish would not seem to be a problem.

William Overington

Thursday 19 July 2018