Keyboard layouts and CLDR

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 31 12:05:17 CST 2018

Another idea: you can already have multiple layouts loaded for the same
language : For French, nothing prohibits to have a "technical/programmer
layout", favoring input of ASCII, a "bibliographic/typographical" one with
improved characters (e.g. the correct curly apostrophe); the
technical/programmer layout has the spell-checker disabled by default,
while the other has a spell checker enabled by default: whever to activate
the spell checker or not will depend on software where it is enable, but it
will switch automatically it on or off according to the state defined by
changing the layout for the same language.

Switching from one layout to another is easy with the Language bar, this
means that even if you keep the first layout unchanged to match the
national standard, additional layouts can be tuned specifically.

For French fortunately there are two ISO 639-2 codes "fra" and "fre"
(technical and bibliographic) which allows also defining the code "FRA" or
"FRE" to display in the language bar (users should be able to tune the
abbreviation or icon or emoji displayed in the language bar when they
switch languages or input layouts, even if there are defaults, and Windows
can infer a non-conflicting visual identification by adding a digit to the
ISO 639-2 or -3 code (which would be the same as the layout ordering number
in the list of loaded layouts, and used in shortcuts like CTRL+ALT+F1...F9).