Internationalised Computer Science Exercises

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Jan 29 01:54:29 CST 2018

You may also wonder why I describe a regexp that would never match anything
but would be handled itself as a successful match: it is a useful extension
that allows stopping early the analysis and genenalizes the concept of
negation (defined in character classes with the minus operator).

For example "(b{}|[a-z])*" would match any word made of any letters [a-z]
except that when it encounters any "b" it attempts to match "{}" (which
doesn't match anything as it means "match 1 or more within a list having no
item to choose from), it succeeds early and invalidates all matches in the
alternatives given, in summary it will be mostly the same as
"[[a-z]-[b]]*", or "[ac-z]*", but if there's a "b", it returns an empty
match for it, located just after the "b" found.

Note: the optional quantifiers are the classic ones used in regexps:
 - "{m,n}" for m to n occurences,
 - "{n}" for exactly n occurences (for n>0), equivalent to "{n,n}" (the
default quantifier is "{1}" or "{1,1}"), except "{0}" which is equivalent
to "{1,0}",
 - "{m,}" for at least m occurences,
 - "{,n}" or "{0,n}"  for at most n occurences,
 - "?" for 0 or 1 occurence, equivalent to "{,1}"
 - "+" for 1 or more occurences, equivalent to "{1,}"
 - "*" for 0 or more occurences, equivalent to "{0,}"
- I don't know if we need here special greedy/non-greedy quantifiers ("?*",
"?+", "??", "*?, "*+", "+?", "+*", and so on...)

However the quantifiers at start of this (unordered) "exclusive choice
lists" extension, with form "{quantifier item1 | item2 | ...}" or "{quantifier
[class]}", do not just count the items, they also disallow multiple
occurences of the same chosen item, unlike the quantifiers used as suffixes
(after a character, character class or subregexp between parentheses).

The number of items in the exclusive choice list is never zero but it may
be a matchable empty string (it cannot be an "empty class", as a character
class must match exactly 1 character to choose from a set of 1-character
values; but the "empty class" is representable as "{{0}}" using a
quantified exclusive choice list). If an item in the exclusive  choice list
is an empty string and the quantifier of the choice list is not "{0}", the
exclusive choice list will always match successfully.

I insist on the term "exclusive", because this is the interesting property
that allows bounding the occurences, and on the term "unordered" (which
avoids having to combinatorially specify all the possibile order or
occurence of items in the choice list (if the choice list has (n) items,
there are (n!) possible orders with classic regexps and an item list with
only 13 items would have more than 2^32 orders to specify with classic
regexps; in Unicode, we have up to 255 possible non-zero canonical classes,
so we cannot represent them all in classic regexps within any computer:
(253!) ~5.17e499).