TIRONIAN SIGN ET

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Jan 28 01:23:15 CST 2018

On Sat, Jan 27 2018 at 21:59 CET, davidj_faulks at yahoo.ca writes:

[...]

> As far as I can tell, it was originally proposed in the document n1747
> 'Contraction mark characters for the UCS’ by Everson. However, I
> cannot find that document anywhere.

Thank you very much for the reference.

On the page

http://www.evertype.com/formal.html

there is the link

http://unicode.org/wg2/docs/n1747.pdf

but it does not work. However the page

http://www.unicode.org/wg2/WG2-registry.html

states

        The archival document directory for WG2 is accessible here:
        http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/ The archives contain all
        available documents through 2014

and the document is at

ftp://std.dkuug.dk/ftp.anonymous/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n1747.pdf

Actually the character is "inherited" from

         ISO 5426-2:1996 Information and documentation -- Extension of
         the Latin alphabet coded character set for bibliographic
         information interchange -- Part 2: Latin characters used in
         minor European languages and obsolete typography

Hence my curiosity is fully satisfied :-)

Thanks again!

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)