0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?

Doug Ewell via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Jan 23 16:24:05 CST 2018

Philippe Verdy wrote:

> The best they should have done is instead keeping their existing
> keyboard layout, continaing both the Cyrillic letters and Latin QWERTY
> printed on them, but operating in two modes (depending on OS
> preferences) to invert the two layouts but without changing the
> keystrokes. It would just have needed one Latin letter or modified
> Latin letter so that it was simply a 1 to 1 transliteration.

The objective apparently was to be able use a U.S. English keyboard
layout, AS IS, to type Kazakh-in-Latin. Adding new characters to the
layout would defeat this purpose.

Again, this may not be how you or I would solve the problem, and it may
not be how the Kazakhs would solve the problem if there were no
installed base (i.e. existing Latin-script keyboards with which
compatibility was desired).

As they say, the reason God was able to create the heavens and the earth
in only 6 days was that there was no installed base to worry about.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org