0027, 02BC, 2019, or a new character?

Philippe Verdy via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Jan 19 18:41:54 CST 2018

For the root zone may be, but not formally rejected by IDN, and the Kazakh
zone could accept it without problem. It also has the advantage of allowing
cleaner collation and contextual text extraction, and it also allows better
placement of the combining character with its base in some dedicated pairs
that will be suitable for Kazakh.
But technically it would have been preferable to use the acute accent.

Note that the acute accent is also looking much as apostrophes in Greek
with capitals, and still it is not rejected ! (of course in IDN, case does
not matter and there's a visual distinction in lowercase: but what would
prohibit Kazakh pairs to have similar dictinctions at least for lowercase
letters?).

I don't understand the rationale: a combining accent (acute above, comma
above, or comma above right) will always be better than the proposed reuse
of punctuation apostrophes, and its intended semantic for Kazakh is
certainly not a punctuation or elision mark, which will also occur in
borrowed foreign names really using elision apostrophes or trigrams, and
also not a separate modifier letter).

Sometimes I think we should also discuss about the Breton trigram "c'h"
which is not well represented with the legacy apostrophe, and a combining
acute above or comma above or above right would be better : Breton
keyboards or input methods can be improved to select the correct character
to encode).