Non-RGI sequences are not emoji? (was: Re: Unifying E_Modifier and Extend in UAX 29 (i.e. the necessity of GB10))

Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Jan 3 02:29:14 CST 2018

Thanks for your comments; you raise an excellent issue. There are valid
sequences that are not RGI; a vendor can support additional emoji sequences
(in particular, flags). So the wording in the doc isn't correct.

It should do something like replace the use of "testing for RGI" by
"testing for validity". The key areas involved in that are checking for the
valid base+modifier combinations, valid RI pairs, and TAG sequences. The
latter two involve testing based on the information applied in the
appendix, while the valid base+modifiers are more regular and can be tested
based on properties.

Mark