Tamil Brahmi Short Mid Vowels

Andrew Glass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Aug 29 16:42:57 CDT 2018

Thank you Richard and Shriramana for bringing up this interesting problem.

I agree we need to fix this. I don’t want to fix this with a font hack or change to USE cluster rules or properties. I think the right place to fix this is in the encoding. This might be either a new character for Tamil Brahmi Puḷḷi — as Shriramana has proposed (L2/12-226<http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2012/12226-brahmi-two-tamil-char.pdf>) — or separate characters for Tamil Brahmi Short E and Tamil Brahmi Short O in independent and dependent forms (4 characters total). I’m inclined to think that a visible virama, Tamil Brahmi Puḷḷi, is the right approach.

Cheers,

Andrew