Private Use areas - Vertical Text

Andrew West via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Wed Aug 29 07:05:31 CDT 2018

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 11:18, <jk at koremail.com> wrote:

> I was using a change horizontal to vertical text feature in office, the
> PUA characters being from plane 15.

I tested with Word 2007, and normal PUA characters from my font were
displayed with vertical orientation in a vertical text box, but Plane
15 PUA characters were rotated.

I also tested with Word 2016, and both normal PUA characters and Plane
15 PUA characters were displayed with vertical orientation in a
vertical text box, as you want, although there were vertical spacing
issues with the Plane 15 PUA characters which suggest that the
vertical metrics tables (vhea and vmtx) in the font are not being
applied for Plane 15 characters (or it could be a problem with my
font).

Andrew