Private Use areas

William_J_G Overington via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Aug 27 03:59:43 CDT 2018

Hi
How about the following method.
In a text file that contains text that uses Private Use Area characters, start the file with a sequence of Enclosed Alphanumeric characters from regular Unicode, that sequence containing the metadata relating to those Private Use Area characters as used in their present context.
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2460.pdf
Use circled digits U+24EA, U+2460 .. U+2469, and Circled Latin letters U+24B6 .. U+24E9.
Use U+2473 as if it were a circled space. The use of 20 to mean a space often occurs in web addresses. I know that there it is hexadecimal and here it is decimal but it has the same look of being an encoded space and so that is why I am suggesting using it.
Start the sequence with PUAINFO encoded using seven circled Latin letters and any character other than a carriage return or a line feed shows that the sequence has ended. The use of PUAINFO encoded using seven circled Latin letters at the start of the sequence is so that text using enclosed alphanumeric characters for another purpose would not become disrupted.
Then a suitable software application can read the text file and then, either automatically or after the clicking of a button, extract metadata information from the sequence of enclosed alphanumeric characters and not display the sequence of enclosed alphanumeric characters.
Maybe other circled numbers in the range 10 through to 19 would have special meanings.
This method would keep everything within plane zero.
William Overington
Monday 27 August 2018