Private Use areas

William_J_G Overington via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Aug 24 10:09:02 CDT 2018

Hi
An approach that you might like to consider in relation to fonts is that it is possible to have in a font a Description field that consists of plain text.
It is stored twice in the font, in two different ways, one of which is just plain text, possibly just ASCII.
So if you had text such as
$$$PUAB
and so on in that Description field than a software application could search for all occurrences of $$$ and gather information for each set of data in that way, without needing separate OpenType tables.
As an example of how information can be stored in the Description field here is a link to a font that I made years ago.
If you download the font and open it is WordPad, the text can be read.
The direct link is as follows.
www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/SPANGBLU.TTF
The font is also linked from the following web page, about a quarter of the way down the page.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/fonts.htm
The web pages encoded in the font are for three of the songs linked from the following page.
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/song0001.htm
Best regards,
William Overington
Friday 24 August 2018