Aw: Re: Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was Re: Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process)

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Aug 23 20:58:11 CDT 2018

Still, pronouns may be universal, but their features aren't... Pronouns
in Japanese are not a closed class, and it is not uncommon to use a
person's name/title instead of "you".  Happens in English and other
languages too, with extremely formal speech, even down to conjugating
with 3rd-person verb forms.  (it's really cool to see the mid-sentence
back-and-forth shifting in Biblical Hebrew, e.g. Genesis chapter 44.)
All of which is to say, as Asmus did, that even "I" and "you" are not
interchangeable pieces between languages, easily symbolized by a single
"fits-all-languages" placeholder.

~mark