Private Use areas

Janusz S. Bień via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Aug 23 14:47:03 CDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 23 2018 at 22:17 +0300, eliz at gnu.org writes:
>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 20:30:52 +0200
>> Cc: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com>
>> From: "Janusz S. Bień via Unicode" <unicode at unicode.org>

>> > Can you be more specific?
>>
>> I often search characters by name with C-x 8 Return. I would like to use
>> it also for MUFI characters, I have already the name list (the example
>> directory at https://bitbucket.org/jsbien/unihistext/). I haven't looked
>> very closely into the problem and don't remember now the details, but my
>> impression was that it's not simple.
>
> What is "it" in the last sentence?  IOW, what is not simple about that
> with Emacs?

I'm very glad you join the discussion.

My needs are very simple, for example C-x 8 Return LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
A WITH MACRON AND BREVE [MUFI] should yield the character with the code
E010. I can provide the list of names and codes.

> It is true that the Unicode related data is produced at build time,
> but only some of that is actually recorded in the Emacs binary, the
> rest is loaded upon demand.  But all the data is stored in data
> structures that are mutable, given some Lisp programming.

I never was fluent in Lisp programming and by now I forgot almost
everything I knew, so it's not a task for me. I was thinking about
submitting a feature request, but I forgot also the proper procedures to
do it. Moreover I had the impression that I'm the only person who needs
it...

> (It is not clear to me which part of the Unicode data you would like
> to change; are you talking about adding characters to the list of
> those defined by Unicode?  If you are using the PUA codepoints, it's
> possible that you will need to update Emacs's notion of PUA as well.)

Yes, I would like the PUA codepoints to be handled analogically as the
proper ones. What do you mean by Emacs's notion of PUA?

Best regards

Janusz

--
             ,