Aw: Re: Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was Re: Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process)

Asmus Freytag (c) via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Thu Aug 23 05:48:52 CDT 2018

On 8/23/2018 3:28 AM, "Jörg Knappen" wrote:
> Asmus,
> I know your style of humor, but to keep it straight:
> All known human languages, even Piraha, have pronouns for "I" and "you".

And languages like Japanese, tend to use them - mostly not.

Even if the concepts are known, and can be named, there are deep
differences across languages concerning the need  or conventions for
demarcating them with words in any given context.

Replacing words by symbols is not going to fix this - the only way to
get a 'universal' system of symbolic expression is to invent a new
language, with its own conventions for use of these symbols in any given
context.

A./