Private Use areas (was: Re: Thoughts on working with the Emoji Subcommittee (was ...))

Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Aug 20 14:12:42 CDT 2018

> ... some people who would call a PUA solution either batty
> or crazy.

I don't think it is either batty or crazy. People can certainly use the PUA
to interchange text (assuming that they have downloaded fonts and keyboards
or some other input method beforehand), and
it
 can definitely serve as a proof of concept
. Plain symbols — with no interactions between them (like changing shape
with complex scripts), no combining/non-spacing marks, no case mappings,
and so on — are the best possible case for PUA.

The only caution I would give is that people shouldn't expect general
purpose software to do anything with PUA text that depends on character
properties.

Mark