Tales from the Archives

Steffen Nurpmeso via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Aug 20 08:08:46 CDT 2018

James Kass via Unicode wrote in <CABPY6Z0yuK9E9WmZecyGO9Ao8V-0f1wx81aq=E\
1wN+_+fsLMBw at mail.gmail.com>:
 |Eighteen years pass, display issues have mostly gone away, nearly
 |everything works "out-of-the-box", and list traffic has dropped
 |dramatically.  Today's questions are usually either highly technical
 |or emoji-related.
 |
 |Recent threads related to emoji included some questions and issues
 |which remain unanswered in spite of the fact that there are list
 |members who know the answers.
 |
 |This gives the impression that the Unicode public list has become
 |passé.  That's almost as sad as looking down the archive posts, seeing
 |the names of the posters, and remembering colleagues who no longer
 |post.
 |
 |So I'm wondering what changed, but I don't expect an answer.

I have the impression that many things which have been posted here
some years ago are now only available via some Forums or other
browser based services.  What is posted here seems to be mostly
a duplicate of the blog only.  (And the website has its pitfalls
too, for example [1] is linked from [2], but does not exist.)

  [1] http://www.unicode.org/resources/readinglist.html
  [2] http://www.unicode.org/publications/

--steffen