Tales from the Archives

Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Aug 19 14:03:19 CDT 2018

You and Alan both raise good issues and make good points. I'd mention a
couple of others.

When we started Unicode, there were not a lot of alternatives to a
general-purpose discussion email list for internationalization, but now
there are many. Often the technical discussions are moved to more specific
forums. There are interesting discussions on the identification of Unicode
spoofing (because of look-alikes) on a variety of forums dealing with
security, for example. I suspect many of the font rendering issues have
widespread solutions now (as Alan notes) and that discussions of remaining
issues have shifted to forums on OpenType. There are some very intense
discussions of Mongolian model issues, but those also tend to be handled in
different venues. Work on ICU / CLDR also tend to take place in many cases
in the comments on particular tickets, rather than in email lists.

The work of the consortium has also broadened significantly beyond encoding
and issues closely related to encoding. Here's a slide to illustrate that.
(The first 24 slides in the deck are to give people some context and
perspective on what the Unicode Consortium does before focusing on a
narrower issue.)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QAyfwAn_0SZJ1yd0WiQgoJdG7djzDiq2Isb254ymDZc/edit#slide=id.g38b1fcd632_0_166

Mark