Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Sun Aug 12 17:03:27 CDT 2018

Charlotte Buff wrote,

> Do you want to know what “building bridges”
> achieved? Bloody nothing. They ignored literally
> every single word I had written and marched
> onward regardless.

So much for rhetoric, eh?

Sorry if I've underestimated the scope of the dilemma.

It's best to understand both sides of an issue.  When one faction
posts criticisms and questions, and the other side fails to respond,
it leaves everyone with a one-sided viewpoint.

As speculation, the ESC members probably have other responsibilities
besides grinding out pictographs.  (Day jobs, real world, etc.)  Emoji
popularity combined with click-bait news articles urging every yob in
town to submit documents suggests that the ESC may simply be
overwhelmed with such documents, some of which were probably written
in crayon.

As the emoji character set evolves, so do procedures.  It's possible
that people are simply scrambling around trying to do too much at
once.

I am the most unlikely apologist for the ESC imaginable, I'm just
trying to be fair.

Alienating the very people who are the only ones competent to respond
to your questions and concerns won't get questions answered or
concerns addressed.

Hoping someone with the answers will respond to this thread, but not
holding my breath while waiting.  In this particular case, a lack of
response might be more informative than an actual one.