Thoughts on Emoji Selection Process

James Kass via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Fri Aug 10 20:25:46 CDT 2018

Charlotte Buff wrote,

> A squirrel is too similar to a chipmunk, but a
> softball must be disunified from a baseball.

Let's not be too harsh on the ESC.  The set of in-line pictures which
some might use to adorn text is open-ended.  The ESC has to deal with
the really tough questions every day.  Like, is there a semantic
difference between PICTURE OF SQUIRREL vs. PICTURE OF CHIPMUNK or
BASEBALL vs. SOFTBALL or AUSTALOPITHECINE RIDING THREE-LEGGED HORSE
vs. AUSTALOPITHECINE WITH MOHAWK RIDING THREE-LEGGED HORSE, and so
forth.  I wouldn't be able to make such difficult decisions without
flipping a coin, so I'd doff my hat to the ESC if I wore one.