Fwd: RFC 8369 on Internationalizing IPv6 Using 128-Bit Unicode

Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Mon Apr 2 20:06:51 CDT 2018

On 04/02/2018 08:52 PM, J Decker via Unicode wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM, Mark E. Shoulson via Unicode
> <unicode at unicode.org <mailto:unicode at unicode.org>> wrote:
>
>     For unique identifiers for every person, place, thing, etc,
>     consider
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier
>     <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier>
>     which are indeed 128 bits.
>
>     What makes you think a single "glyph" that represents one of these
>     3.4⏨38 items could possibly be sensibly distinguishable at any
>     sort of glance (including long stares) from all the others?  I
>     have an idea for that: we can show the actual *digits* of some
>     encoding of the 128-bit number.  Then just inspecting for a
>     different digit will do.
>

> there's no restirction that it be one character cell in size...
> rendered glyphs could be thousands of pixels wide...

Yes, but at that point it becomes a huge stretch to call it a
"character".  It becomes more like a "picture" or "graphic" or
something.  And even then, considering the tremendohunormous number of
them we're dealing with, can we really be sure each one can be uniquely
recognized as the one it's *supposed* to be, by everyone?

~mark